Become a Colorado Master GardenerSM
Do you have a passion for gardening? Do you want to help others learn how to plant and care for lawns, trees, shrubs, flower and vegetable gardens and house plants?
Colorado Master GardenersSM are volunteers who assist horticulture staff at CSU Extension – Arapahoe County in helping residents with all aspects of garden and landscape care.
To become an Apprentice Colorado Master GardenerSM, you will need to attend a 13-week training course for an in-depth horticultural education. You will then be qualified to share this knowledge by answering questions from citizens at the Extension Office. You may also staff booths at local garden centers and fairs, teach gardening classes, mentor youth gardening groups, assist horticultural therapy recipients and more.
The training is provided at a cost of $200 to cover the cost of training materials and administrative expenses, plus 50 hours of volunteer service as an Apprentice Colorado Master GardenerSM during the growing season, April through October. The fee is due upon acceptance to the program.
For those not interested in volunteer service, training is available at a cost of $530. Participants will earn a Colorado Gardener Certificate.
Applications are accepted in September. Applications for the 2021 class are now closed. Interviews with prospective applicants are conducted in November. Individuals accepted to the program begin online classes in January. After training, Apprentices complete 50 hours of volunteer service during the apprentice year. Successful apprentices will become Colorado Master GardenerSM volunteers and will be invited to return for 24 hours minimum service per year. Volunteer office/phone shifts last four hours. Out-of-office service opportunities can vary from one to four hours.
- Age 21 or older
- Gardening experience in Colorado
- Able to volunteer a minimum of 50 hours volunteer service
- Ability to communicate with diverse groups of people
- Complete an application form
- Attend 13-week training course
- Undergo background check
- Reference checks
Request an application by calling 303-730-1920 or by email to:
- Colorado Master Gardener Volunteers
- Lucinda Greene, Assistant Horticulturist/Colorado Master GardenerSM Coordinator
- Lisa Mason, Extension Agent/Horticulture
Arapahoe County Extension offers continuing CMG volunteers a variety of educational opportunities:
- Seminars and classes on current topics
- Field trips and garden tours
- Diagnostic clinics
- Multi-county and regional education opportunities, including CMG Online, the Master Gardener Conference, and CSU Short Course.
Learn more about the Colorado Master GardenerSM Program.