Sustainable living is the application of sustainability to lifestyle choice and decisions.
CSU, CSU Extension, and their valued partners offer a wide range of programs that reflect our commitment to healthy, vibrant and sustainable lifestyles.
- Outdoor water use accounts for about 55 percent of the residential water use in urban areas along the Front Range, most of which is used on turf. As a percentage of total water use in the urban Front Range, outdoor water accounts for about 40 percent of all urban water use. Many Colorado residents use over 170 gallons of water per capita per day. Water Conservation In and Around the Home
- The largest water users in the home are toilets, clothes washers, faucets, and showers. Consider the following actions for savings in these areas. HOMEOWNER’S GUIDE TO: Household Water Conservation
- Drip irrigation exceeds 90 percent efficiency whereas sprinkler systems are 50 to 70 percent efficient. People interested in waterwise gardening should consider drip irrigation. Drip Irrigation for Home Garden
- Colorado’s semiarid climate, which is prone to periods of drought, requires that homeowners and land managers care for their landscapes in a responsible water-wise manner. This fact sheet helps you take care of your lawn during drought. Watering a Home Landscape During Drought
- Proper watering can promote a deeply rooted, healthier turf. Let grass species and health, soil conditions, and weather conditions dictate irrigation practices, not the number of days between watering. Learn about lawn care and how to maximize your water use. https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/lawn-care-7-202/
- There are many ways to be sustainable year-round, here are some examples from CSU’s campus.
- Check out these videos by Eco-cycle to learn about recycling and composting.
- Learn about recycling right with Waste Management and get some helpful visual guides.
- Learn about recycling basics with the EPA
- CSU Extension’s Building Farmers Program: http://buildingfarmers.com
- Colorado’s Cottage Foods Act: http://www.extension.colostate.edu/TRA/Special/CottageFoodProducerBrochure.pdf
- CSU Extension’s Food Safety Program: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/
- CSU Extension Food Systems Program Newsletters: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/agriculture/local-food-systems-newsletters/
- Being Green with CSU: http://green.colostate.edu
- CSU Extension’s Sustainable Yards and Gardens: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/
- CSU Extension’ Native Landscape Trees: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/native-trees-for-colorado-landscapes-7-421/
- CSU Extension’ Native Landscape Shrubs: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/native-shrubs-for-colorado-landscapes-7-422/
- CSU Extension’ Native Landscape Perennials: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/native-herbaceous-perennials-for-colorado-landscapes-7-242/
- CSU Extension’s Master Gardener’s Native Grasses: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/581.html
- CSU Extension’s Master Gardener’s Vegetable Planting Guide: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/720.html
- CSU Extension’s Rainwater Harvesting Fact Sheet: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/natural-resources/rainwater-collection-colorado-6-707/
- CSU Extension’s Sustainable Landscaping Fact Sheet: http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/sustainable-landscaping-7-243/
- CSU’s Waste Management Practices: http://www.fm.colostate.edu/sustain/index.cfm?page=projects/integrated
- CSU Extension’s Native Plant Master Program: http://jeffco.extension.colostate.edu/metro-to-mountain-npm/
- CSU Extension’s Small Acreage Management Program: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/sam/index.html
- CSU & Fort ZED- Create and Maintain an Energy Efficient Yard: http://fortzed.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/GUEP_IndEEGuide2014_Outdoors.pdf
- Denver Clean Cities (Alternative Transportation): http://denvercleancities.org
- Plug-in Electric and Hybrid Vehicles http://www.plugincars.com