By Lucinda Greene, Colorado Master Gardener
Thinking about becoming a better gardener in 2022? Adopt one or more of these New Year’s gardening resolutions. Your plants and the environment will be happier for these efforts.
- Order seed from free catalogs. Here are four of our favorite seed purveyors: Baker Creek, Gurney’s, Johnny’s Selected Seeds, and Burpee. Or better yet, save the paper and order online.
- Commit to winter watering. Reserve and schedule one day a month on your calendar for this important task. Click on the link to this fact sheet to learn how to keep your trees and shrubs hydrated all year long.
- Learn to use your irrigation clock to water your landscape plants efficiently. Don’t set it and forget it.
- Have troublesome garden areas? Order a soils test to determine any nutrient deficiencies.
- Donate excess vegetable produce to those in need. Learn how easy it is to share your harvest with others through the Grow and Give program.
- Manage invasive weeds with appropriate controls. This fact sheet offers good options.
- Learn how to attract pollinators to your garden by selecting appropriate plants and providing habitat.
- Planting a new tree or shrub? Select plants appropriate to the region and plant according to mature size.
- Enjoy water-saving and weed management benefits by adding mulch to the landscape.
- Attend a garden class. Want to learn more about tree planting? Or growing and using garden herbs? Check out the list of free classes available from CSU Extension professionals.