Become a Colorado Master GardenerSM
Do you have a passion for gardening? Do you want to help others learn how to plant and care for lawns, trees, shrubs, flower and vegetable gardens and house plants?
Colorado Master GardenersSM are volunteers who assist horticulture staff at CSU Extension – Arapahoe County with helping residents with all aspects of garden and landscape care.
To become an Apprentice Colorado Master GardenerSM, you will need to attend a 10-week training course for an in-depth horticultural education. You will then be qualified to share this knowledge by answering questions from citizens at the Extension Office. You may also staff booths at local garden centers and fairs, teach gardening classes, mentor youth gardening groups, assist horticultural therapy recipients and more.
The training is provided at a cost of $265 to cover the cost of training materials and administrative expenses, plus 50 hours of volunteer service as an Apprentice Colorado Master GardenerSM during the growing season, April through October. The fee is due upon acceptance to the program.
For those not interested in volunteer service, training is available at a cost of $625. Participants will earn a Colorado Gardener Certificate.
Applications are accepted in October. Interviews are conducted in November, and individuals accepted to the program begin daytime classes in January. Apprentices then must complete 50 hours minimum of volunteer service during the apprentice year. Successful apprentices will become certified Colorado Master GardenerSM and will be invited to return for 24 hours minimum service per year. Volunteer office/phone shifts last four hours. Out-of-office service opportunities can vary from one to four hours.
- Age 21 or older
- Gardening experience in Colorado
- Able to volunteer a minimum of 50 hours volunteer service
- Ability to communicate with diverse groups of people
- Complete an application form
- Attend 10-week training course
- Undergo background check
- Reference checks
Request an application by calling 303-730-1920 or by email to:
- Colorado Master Gardener Volunteers
- Lucinda Greene, Assistant Horticulturist/Colorado Master GardenerSM Coordinator
- Robert Cox, Extension Agent/Horticulture
Arapahoe County Extension offers continuing CMG volunteers a variety of educational opportunities:
- Seminars and classes on current topics
- Field trips and garden tours
- Diagnostic clinics
- Multi-county and regional education opportunities, including CMG Plus Classes, ProGreen Expo, CSU Short Course and CSU Field Day
Learn more about the Colorado Master GardenerSM Program.