FLTI Week 20
“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” – Winston Churchill
We did it! We have made it to the end of our training together, BUT this is not the end of our work! Now comes the opportunity to stretch further and apply your new skills to our external communities and families. Now is when we start our marathon towards making our communities stronger and using our voices to empower the families around us so they are included in decision- and policy-making. I am grateful to have spent these past several months with you and look forward to working alongside you in our community!
In Session 20 we will practice Using Your Voice. “3-Minute Speech Criteria” document attached if needed. This speech is the SAME as your Week 10 speech but with revisions from feedback and including updated info about your projects.
- Practice! Practice! Practice! Have a friend be your audience, ask for feedback, time yourself, record it, meet up with another participant to practice both of your speeches.
- Know your audience – Who are you speaking to? Will you be speaking to our cohort? Or maybe you want to pretend we are the City Council or School Board?
- Breathe deeply. This is our first time to give speeches to the group – of course it’s intimidating! And that’s ok! We have spent 8 weeks building a safe place for each of us to try something new, be open to feedback, and support each other as we learn. It may be helpful to practice in front of a group so you can prepare your mind for real thing. We will give our speeches a second time at Week 20 and trust me, you will see the difference!
- Please sign up for potluck!!
- We are meeting at the Sheridan Recreation Center as usual and dinner begins at 5:15pm. Speeches will begin promptly at 6:00pm and you can sign up for your spot when you arrive.
- Graduation is June 1, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, at the Sheridan City Council Chambers. You can find the evite here and if you forward to friends and family please be sure they RSVP!
- The graduation reception is a POTLUCK. However, we only need small/finger food items and drinks. I’ll provide the cake 🙂
- CPHA Public Health Webinar May topic: US Census 2020-Health in the Balance. May 22 12:00p-1:00p, join here.
- Servicios de La Raza’s Raíces Latinas Gala is June 1. More info here.
- Denver school district is considering banning the use of handcuffs on students K-3rd grade. Denver school safety officers handcuffed 27 children this year so far. Read more here.
- Interfaith Alliance of Colorado Annual Legislative Wrap-Up May 30. RSVP here.
“Go forth into the busy world and love it. Interest yourself in its life, mingle kindly with its joys and sorrows.” –