4-H Leader Resources
Running a Successful 4-H Club – A new resource for 2018-2019!
Chartering Deadline: September 1
Every fall, all 4-H Clubs must charter and submit all necessary chartering documents. Use the following chartering packet and links to guide the chartering process.
Use the 2018-2019 Chartering Packet to fill out the required chartering documents and learn about the chartering process. The documents are fillable. Please first download and save this packet before filling in the information. You can fill in the information once you have saved it on your computer.
- 2018-2019 Chartering Packet (download before filling in information; save when complete)
- Chartering Checklist
- You can find specific chartering documents on the state website.
- Once you have all necessary forms filled out, the documents will need to be compiled into one PDF document for a single upload. You will need to log into 4honline to complete the chartering questions online.
- On 4honline, you will click “My Member List” on the upper right corner of your screen. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page to “Register a Member in an Event”. Click “select a member…” and select your name. Click the Event tab and choose “18-19 Club/Group Chartering”.
- You will now enter all chartering information into the fields on 4honline. Once the information is entered completely, you will upload your charter packet (PDF) including all chartering documents.
- When you are finished with your chartering process, at the bottom of the page, click “Continue” (DO NOT CLICK “save and add new entry”). Click “Continue” until you get to the last page of the event registration. You might want to print a receipt for your records to show that you completed the chartering process.
- The End of Year Report is included in the 2018-2019 Chartering Packet above. You will not submit this on 4honline with other chartering documentation. However, you will need to complete this form and submit to the Extension Office.
- All clubs are required to have an EIN – see below.
- 2018-2019 4-H Enrollment Packet (Leader Instructions) – You can type on forms
- 4-H Confirmation Form – You can type on form
- Club Literature Request Form – You can type on form
- Enrollment Credit Card Payment (Eventbrite)
- Code of Show Ring Ethics (Eventbrite)
Submit Your Club EIN Number
As determined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), 4-H Clubs and Affiliated 4-H Organizations are exempt from federal income tax under the provisions which correspond to section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code. All 4-H clubs must submit their EIN number to the Arapahoe County Extension Office. For more information or to apply for an EIN, please visit this IRS web page. Learn more about 4-H Tax Exempt Status.
Send the EIN Application via mail or fax:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Fax: (855) 641-6935
Share Club News
We invite leaders to submit brief stories and digital photos of club activities, along with a caption of names, for the 4-H newsletters and e-blasts. Please submit articles and ideas to Jean Walton, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Club Secretary Guidebook
This book is a guide for 4-H club secretaries and adult volunteers to meet a variety of fiscal accounting needs. in many states. A copy of your Club’s Secretary Scrapbook needs to be on file in the CSU Extension office by the end of August each year.
Club Treasurer Guidebook
This book is a guide for 4-H club treasurers and adult volunteers to meet a variety of fiscal accounting needs. in many states. A copy of your Club’s Treasurer Scrapbook needs to be on file in the CSU Extension office by the end of August each year.
Tips for Financial Accountability:
If your club has a bank account, here are some questions to ask to assess if the club’s financial accountability is in order:
- Does your account have at least two signers from at least two different families?
- Does your club have an annual budget approved by the members?
- After a fundraising event, is the cash counted and reported by two individuals, not from the same family?
- If reimbursements are made, are the receipts signed and recorded?
- Are all checks for income made payable to the club account and not to any leader, member or other individual or firm?
- Are all checks promptly endorsed “For Deposit Only” in the name of the club?
- Does a committee of 4-H members and leaders conduct a review of the books each year?
What To Do When It Snows…
If it is after 4:30 p.m. and you are wondering if a County 4-H event is canceled because of inclement weather, please call the Extension Office at 303-730-1920 and listen to the recorded message. Clubs are urged to make a decision about what they will do in bad weather conditions and communicate that decision to the club members.